Travelling alone abroad… not easy. This can be a little scary at first, but there are many advantages to going it alone, both in terms of cultural and linguistic life. Here are 6 good reasons to travel alone!
1. TRAVELLING ALONE MAKES YOU FREER
When travelling in a group, with family or friends, it is always necessary to make concessions and find compromises to satisfy everyone. Travelling alone is completely different: you decide everything according to your desires. The dates, the visits, the destination, the itinerary, the accommodation, the meals… In short, all the conditions are there to make your stay truly in your image!
Now is the time to take advantage of this solo adventure to finally do things that are not possible in a group and spend the time you want: spend hours at the museum or take a hike over several days. You’re the only master on board: you can do whatever you want.
2. TRAVELLING ALONE FACILITATES ENCOUNTERS
Just because you travel alone, doesn’t mean you have to be alone, even quite the opposite. This is one of the greatest advantages of travelling alone: you will have a multitude of very rewarding encounters. Since you are not in a group, it is much easier to open up and go spontaneously to the local people. And do you know what’s in it for you?
- To start with you learn their language. You will ask for information, make purchases, ask questions, talk in public places, be solicited, have various conversations….. And you will find that your linguistic progress will be impressive.
- Meeting new people will allow you to discover the customs and culture of the country. Rules of politeness, traditions, eating habits, clothing: it is by frequenting its inhabitants that you will be able to discover all the cultural richness of the country. When you get to know them better, they will probably also advise you on the right addresses, take you to visit sites off the beaten track, and why not, invite you to their home to get to know their families and establish real and lasting bonds of friendship.
A word of advice if you want to be sure to have contacts with locals: rent a room in a local house! You will be able to talk every day with the owner, but also probably with other travellers who have chosen the same address. This will be another opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
3. TRAVELLING ALONE GETS YOU OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE
Are you rather shy, withdrawn, afraid of making a mistake? Travelling alone is precisely the opportunity to get started, because you will have no choice but to reach out to people. You will need to ask for information, order food, book visits, in short to exchange a minimum with the local population… and this will do you the greatest good, not only from a linguistic point of view but also for the personal aspect. This means pushing your limits, your motivation and your desires to the edge. At first, you will certainly need to motivate yourself and it will not necessarily be easy, but after these steps, you will be very proud of yourself and you will be able to consider these successes as a real personal achievement.
4. TRAVELLING ALONE, IS AN OPPORTUNITY TO TAKE A LOOK AT YOURSELF
This is a slightly more philosophical aspect of the solo trip, but it will make this adventure very beneficial. Away from your family and friends, this stay abroad can be an opportunity to learn to know yourself better, what you really want, what awaits you when you return to your country, and your future. Being immersed in another culture, with – sometimes – a different perspective on everyday life, can lead to a change in the way you live or be. Why not take inspiration from these cultural discoveries and your encounters to change certain points in your life?
5. TRAVELLING ALONE IS ABOUT GAINING SELF-CONFIDENCE
Being able to manage on your own in a country that is not your own, adapting yourself to a new culture, understanding and speaking the language better and better are all reasons that will boost your self-confidence. When you go home, you will undoubtedly be a changed person, but in the best of ways.
6. TRAVELLING ALONE IS MORE ECONOMICAL
That’s right, it seems obvious, but travelling alone is a great advantage in terms of money! It is much easier to book a plane, train, hotel room or guided tour when you are alone. In addition, it is even possible to benefit from last-minute offers to obtain significant discounts.
So, convinced? What are you waiting for to buy your plane ticket?
Come on, let’s go and have a good trip!
If you like this article, don’t hesitate to share it and if you want to improve your languages with the Coliglote application, register, you will be notified as soon as it is released : www.coliglote.com
Article written by Ingrid, Coliglote