Do you dream of finally being able to speak fluent English? Would you like to learn the language effectively? Do you want to learn in your own way and enjoy it? Browse our list of resources to learn English! You need to know how to get started with the method that suits you best: Youtube channels, blogs and educational sites, online games for children and adults, song lyrics… Learn English with fun!
I have selected for you this excellent article which gives you a very complete list of various resources to learn English!
Free English Courses on the Internet
EngVid – Free video English lessons
ABA English – learn English online
e-Anglais.com – Free English courses and exercises
English television channels
|BBC||National television service with 9 different channels.|
|ITV||Television service with 15 channels.|
|Channel 4||British television channel with innovative and interactive content.|
|Sky||Films and TV series to watch online.|
American television channels
|NBC||The largest television network in the United States: news, sports, TV series…|
|CBS||Most watched American channel in the United States: news, sports, TV series….|
|ABC||Original programs, sports, information|
|FOX||Channel owned by 21st Century Fox: sports, live TV programs and political discussions every Sunday.|
Be careful: you will not have access to most American programs if you are not in the United States.
Australian Television Channels
|Australian+ Television||International television channels with a special section “Learn English”.|
Open subtitles: wide selection of subtitles in different languages
YOUTUBE CHAINS – Language and culture
TO LISTEN TO
Song lyrics in English (games)
LyricsTraining: listen and find the lyrics of your favorite songs!
Lyrics Gasps: fill in the blanks in the chosen song lyrics and check your score at the end!
Audio books in English
- Open Culture: 700 Free Audio Books (classics)
- Librivox: Audio books in public domain
- Loyal Books: Free Public Domain Audiobooks & eBook Downloads
Podcasts and audio conversations
Share America – Anglais Langue Étrangère : English as a Foreign Language: choose the topic of the conversation. Each audio track comes with the transcribed dialogue and a vocabulary list.
Talkenglish.com : listen to the conversation, read and answer the questions, finally visualize the complete transcribed dialogue (about 30 conversations to choose from).
ESL Pod : list of English podcasts to download. New podcasts posted every 2 days, with various and varied themes!
Better@English : short conversations to listen to, each focused on a specific theme, to learn the vocabulary you are looking for.
Poptastic Radio : a radio dedicated to all fans of English pop! Listen to Rock&Roll and Pop music all day long live on the Poptastic Radio website.
EnglishWaves : a French radio station where English is spoken. “Various programs and topics of interest to the French”
GRAMMAR AND VOCABULARY
Free site of English lessons and exercises, for all levels.
This site offers English grammar sheets to download in PDF format.
A complete site that allows you to learn many grammar rules (in the “English lessons” section), with exercises to help you practice! All free of charge.
This site offers English vocabulary sheets to download in PDF format.
A complete English grammar guide, and the possibility of taking a test available directly online.
MyWordBook – Apprenez du vocabulaire
Website listing a large number of vocabulary words sorted by theme.
Enter the verb of your choice and instantly find its conjugation in all tenses. This site also offers grammar lessons, exercises and games.
Verbes irréguliers anglais
A site only dedicated to learning irregular English verbs! The teachers on the site also offer you a special method to learn more easily.
This former English teacher puts a complete English grammar online for free and offers about forty exercises.
Girl – Quick and Dirty Tips
For the more advanced in English, Grammar Girl guides you through different grammar rules…and entertains you!
Click on the theme of your choice and learn simple vocabulary in pictures. Recommended for beginners!
The British Council provides you with help with English grammar and vocabulary with various activities and games. The site is in English.
SITES AND BLOGS TO LEARN ENGLISH
Sites in French
- Anglais Découverte : complete articles on English grammar points. Simple and easy explanations, examples of use and exercises.
- Learn Languages on Your Own : Marc has created this site to share his language tips to help anyone learn English alone. He talks to you in detail about his method.
- Réussir en Anglais : Amira is an English teacher and offers you free lessons in the form of articles on her website.
- Expression Anglaise : grammar, English vocabulary, but also tips and tricks to improve your English!
- Anglais 5 Minutes : Aurélien shares on his blog tips and method for learning English quickly and easily!
- ISpeakSpokeSpoken – a blog with fun articles that introduces you to English grammar and conjugation in an easier way.
- Fun and English : “The more fun, the better you learn” – In addition to her classes, Sophie writes articles on the English language in which she gives her own tips for improvement.
- MANABI Anglais : a site offering articles of advice and help in grammar, vocabulary, etc. A section is even reserved for beginners!
- English for Schools : website dedicated to children learning English – videos, songs, activities, games, etc.
- VOA – Learning English: website to read and listen to American English: information, audio tracks, videos, grammar… For advanced learners who want to read and learn on a daily basis.
- Lang-8: post in English and an English-speaking person will correct you! The watchword of the site is “Let our community of native speakers support your language learning”..
- FluentU- English Language and Culture Blog: come and read more about learning English with these many articles: tips and humour!
- BBC Learning English: The BBC dedicates these pages to English, offering different activities. Choose your level of English and browse the various units.
- Go Speak English: Join this English-speaking student community, meet new people, share English content and communicate with others!
- Speak like a Star!: blog dedicated to learning English. Interesting facts about language, pronunciation tips, choosing the right word… In short, a blog “to help you speak clearly, correctly and confidently”!
- EnglishClub.com: grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, listening… Choose the skill you want to work on and improve in English!
DICTIONARIES, JOURNALS AND MAGAZINES
Also remember to visit the Facebook and Twitter pages of the newspapers listed below, you will often find a lot of interesting content there!
- BBC News (UK)
- The Times (UK)
- The Guardian (UK)
- The Sunday Times (UK)
- The New York Times (US)
- The Washington Post (US)
- National Post (CA)
- The Globe and Mail (CA)
- The Australian (AU)
- The Advertiser – Adelaide (AU)
- The Age – Melbourne (AU)
- IOL – Pretoria News (SA)
- Mail&Guardian (SA)
ENGLISH TESTS AND EXAMS
- Anglais pour le BAC : “everything you need to prepare for the BAC exam in English” This site provides useful links and information to help you review the BAC in English.
- Réussir TOEIC : Tips and tricks to help you achieve a good score on the TOEIC (Test Of English for International Communication) exam
- Digischool Commerce : this site offers you free preparatory courses for the various English tests (TOEIC, TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge). You can also train online!
- Idéalangues : you will find a whole page dedicated to the different English tests with links to free online tests as well as precise descriptions of each test.
APPLICATIONS TO LEARN ENGLISH
Top 5 applications to download to learn a language
LINGOLISTIC : A simple and free application that allows you to watch various videos whose content is entirely transcribed and translated for you. About ten languages are available on the application and you can choose videos corresponding to your language level: beginner, intermediate or advanced.
SOCIAL NETWORKS: GROUPS AND PAGES TO LEARN ENGLISH
ONLINE GAMES TO LEARN ENGLISH
Online games for the youngest:
- Kidilangues, the site for curious children: Games, nursery rhymes and stories for children…in English!
- LearnEnglish Kids, by the British Council: a series of games focused on listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Enjoy your English!: learn and play! Games to learn the basics of English vocabulary – alphabet, numbers and numbers, colours, animals and songs.
Online games for all:
- LearnEnglish, by the British Council: various games working on English grammar and vocabulary.
- ELG, English Learning Games :hanging, memory, math, crossword puzzles… and many other games to make you work on your English!
- Vocabulary.com.il: free games to learn English vocabulary
- Games to learn English: about thirty online games revolving around English vocabulary, conjugation and grammar.